Environmental Services Agronomist
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 700,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion. Cactus Feeders has cattle feedyards throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas, with hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.
The Environmental Services Agronomist position is a full-time, entry-level position. The Environmental Services Agronomist will work under the supervision of the Director of Safety and Environmental Services and will be responsible for maintaining feedyard nutrient management plans, manure sampling, forage sampling, soil sampling, and environmental compliance projects.
- Evaluate and maintain nutrient management plans for feedyard compliance. Prescribe appropriate effluent application rates and timing of application.
- Assist feedyard management with scheduling manure removal by communicating with contract haulers and farmers.
- Preparation and implementation of sample processing and crop management for rotational grazing programs.
- Travel is required for field/farm work and to attend scientific meetings. Travel for this position will be based out of the Texas Panhandle and Southwestern Kansas.
- Assist in the upkeep of research trials.
- Conduct soil, manure, and forage sampling.
- Collect, archive, and analyze data.
- Summarize report data and compile written results.
- Determine pasture management effects on the number of grazing days, rates of gain per acre, soil fertility and nutrient losses, soil health, greenhouse gas emissions, and ecosystem services.
- Develop strategies to mitigate weather-induced and seasonal variability in pasture growth rates.
- Use a standardized experimental design for data collection, sample analysis methods, and grazing protocols.
- B.S. in Plant Science, Soil Science, Environmental Science, Agronomy, or a closely related discipline.
- Experience in physical and chemical analysis for soil, plant seed, and biomass.
- Verifiable experience in the use of word processing, spreadsheet, and statistical software.
- Ability to summarize data accurately and efficiently.
Benefits and Pay
- Salaried Position
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Full-Benefits (health, dental, and life insurance)
- Company Vehicle provided