Feed Foreman - Growyard
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 850,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion. The Company has cattle feedyards throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina and Georgia.
Colorado - Cactus Feeders has recently started managing 2 growyards in the Burlington, CO, area. About 6 miles apart, they have a one-time capacity of around 25,000 head.
About the Position:
- Full-Time Position
- This role may involve extended work hours Monday through Friday
- An employee at the Growyard must be willing to work some holidays, extended hours, and weekends.
The Feed foreman is responsible for the management of cattle intake through daily feed calls and delivery of feed rations. The foreman will have supervision over the feed delivery crew and report directly to the Growyard Manager.
Cattle Feed Intake:
- Determine daily feed calls based on cattle intake patterns, cattle type, weight, health, and weather. Foreman will visually appraise cattle behavior and bunk condition to accurately determine appropriate feed requirements.
- Foreman will be responsible for coordinating feed requirements and timing with feed delivery, hay delivery, and cattle shipping/receiving when receiving fresh cattle.
- Daily management of feed truck crew to ensure correct, accurate, and timely delivery of all rations. Visual inspection and appraisal of the feed ration.
- Shared responsibility with the Growyard Manager for daily operating expenditures in the feed delivery department.
- Oversee preventative and scheduled maintenance on all feed trucks, scales, and feeding system computers.
- New employee orientation and training of Feed Delivery employees.
- Assist the Growyard Manager on annual performance and wage reviews.
- Deliver appropriate coaching, direction, and daily supervision of employees against productivity, quality, and animal husbandry practices.
- Other duties as assigned
- Obtained a college degree in an agriculture-related field (Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree, preferred, but not required)
- Prior knowledge and experience in one or more of cattle production segments (cow-calf, stocker, cattle feeding) is preferred
- Demonstrate the ability to problem solve and prioritize daily responsibilities
- Individual who possesses a strong work ethic and self-starter mentality
- Willingness to contribute to agriculture and the fed cattle industry
Pay and Benefits:
- Salaried position with wages based on qualifications, skills, and experience
- Competitive and affordable insurance coverage – Health + Dental + Vision
- 100% paid retirement through the Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- This position is eligible for end-of-year bonus plan and merit raises
Cactus Feeders provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.