Summer 2023 Feedyard Operations Internship
**STUDENTS: Please check your email inbox, junk mail, and spam after submitting your application. We will send email updates to you about your application through our application tracking system. These emails tend to be sent to junk mail or spam. Once you apply, an application confirmation will be sent to you via email to the email address you provided in your application. Thank you!**
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 850,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion. The company has cattle feedyards throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.
The Feedyard Operations interns will rotate through each department at one of our feedyard locations to gain a comprehensive understanding of the feedyard business. After the internship, the interns will present to the executive leadership team what they learned throughout their summer experience with Cactus Feeders.
Location: Students selected for the internship will be placed at a feedyard location in the Texas Panhandle or Southwestern, Kansas.
Timeframe: The internship will begin on Tuesday, May 30, 2023, and conclude on Friday, August 4, 2023.
About the Internship:
Cactus Feeders summer internship is a 10-week paid internship in one of our feedyard locations in Southwest Kansas or the Texas Panhandle. Students selected for the internship will work directly with Feed Delivery Management, Cattle Management, Mill Production Management, and Operations Management. Our goal is to give students full exposure to our feedyard operations to see first-hand what a career at Cactus Feeders would be like.
- Duties will vary based on the internship location to fulfill the needs of the feedyard operations
- Assists with the shipping and receiving of cattle
- Reading feed bunks and calling feed
- Learn to assess the condition of cattle and conduct daily rate of gain conversions
- Facilitate scheduling and entry of daily cattle deliveries
- Preparing feed rations in the mill and operating technical equipment
- Animal husbandry and animal care – working with both the doctoring and processing crews
- Practices all Cactus Feeders’ safety rules and policies
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, or Graduate student on the path to get a college degree in an Agriculture related field (Required)
- Background in agriculture and/or beef industry (Preferred)
- Student with proven leadership capabilities and background
- Must provide a valid driver’s license
- Student with a self-starter mentality
- Individual willing to immerse oneself into the companies work and company culture
- Effective interpersonal/communication skills
- Willing and able to relocate for the summer (if applicable)
Pay and Benefits:
- Paid Internship
- Housing is provided (if needed by the student)