Cattle Foreman - Syracuse Feedyard
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and over 850,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion. The Company has cattle feedyards throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.
Job Description: The Cattle Foreman is an entry-level management trainee position. The Cattle Foreman is responsible for the management of cattle receiving, processing, treatment, and shipping programs. The foreman assists with the supervision of the cattle processing & treatment crew and reports directly to the Cattle Manager.
- Animal Health: Daily supervision of cattle receiving and processing programs. Plan and deliver processing treatments based on the condition, health, and weight of the cattle. Visually appraise cattle following processing for signs of treatment response, illness, disease, or injury. Critical control points include proper cattle handling, accurate delivery of all animal health products, implants, and ear tags.
- Productivity: Supervise daily processing of all incoming livestock at appropriate head-per-hour targets for cattle type, weather, and seasonal workload.
- Quality Control: Ensure appropriate and effective dosages for all animal health products. Maintain the highest standards of animal husbandry in animal handling and treatment.
- Facility Maintenance: Preventative and scheduled maintenance on all cattle receiving & treatment equipment & facilities; scales, chutes, 4 wheelers, syringes, implant guns, etc.
- Safety Program: Responsible for personal protective equipment, inspections, training, behavioral audits, toolbox meetings, and accident investigations.
- Expense Budgets: Responsible for daily operating expenditures in the cattle processing area.
- Day to Day Supervision: New employee orientation and training of all Processing & Treatment employees. Deliver appropriate coaching, direction, and daily supervision of Processing employees against productivity, quality, and animal husbandry objectives.
- Obtained a bachelor’s or associate’s degree in an agriculture-related field (preferred)
- Prior knowledge and experience in one or more of cattle production segments (cow-calf, stocker, cattle feeding) is preferred
- Horsemanship skills and the ability to work cattle via horseback. Must provide own horse and tack, horse related expenditures are negotiated in the package (preferred)
- Other knowledge or related agriculture experience that demonstrates knowledge of cattle production and desire to work in the cattle feeding industry will be considered
- Strong work ethic
- Self-starter mentality and passionate about agriculture/cattle industry
Pay and Benefits:
- Salaried position with wages based on qualifications, skills, and experience
- Competitive benefits package – Health + Dental + Vision
- 100% paid retirement through Employee Stock Ownership Plan