Summer 2021 Forage and Environmental Services Internship
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 700,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion. The company has cattle feedyards throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.
The Forage/Environmental Services Intern will be responsible for soil, forage, and other sample collection to support Cactus Feeders grazing operations and Feedyard Nutrient Management Plans. Compilation of data generated from samples and communication of results to managers will be required. The student may have the opportunity to participate in grazing system management through tasks such as fence and water management and forage and cattle evaluation.
About the position:
The forage and environmental services internship is a 10-week internship beginning the first week of June and ending the first week of August. The intern will be responsible for preparing and presenting a summary of their internship, including a review of sample results, at the conclusion of the internship. The intern will be based at a feedyard location, but will travel to other feedyard locations as needed.
- Monitor forage production, soil health, and collect samples
- Assist in managing an intensive rotational grazing system
- Assist Cactus Feeders Environmental Services in requirements of Feedyard Nutrient Management Plans
- Compile and analyze data using Microsoft Excel
- Traveling to feedyard locations in the Texas Panhandle and Southwestern Kansas
- Current junior, senior, or graduate student studying Agronomy, Range Science, Animal Science, or related field at an accredited university
- Completed courses in agronomy, soil science, forages, or range science preferred
- Student with an agricultural background is preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is preferred
Pay and Benefits:
- Paid Internship
- Housing is provided