Summer 2021 Research Internship
About the Company:
Cactus Feeders, Inc., is an Amarillo, Texas-based producer of commercial fed cattle and market hogs. Originally founded as a family company in 1975, Cactus Feeders is 100% Employee Owned with its 800+ employees producing a million fed cattle and 700,000 market hogs annually with gross revenues of over $1 Billion. The company has cattle feedyards throughout the Texas Panhandle and Southwest Kansas with hog operations in Iowa, South Carolina, and Georgia.
The research intern will both lead and assist in ongoing research trials conducted by Cactus Research. The program's goal is to expose students to beef cattle research methods and how to use research results to inform production decisions. Students will review existing literature and data, compile and analyze data, and travel to feedyard locations to assist in conducting research trials. Students will also have opportunities to interact with Cactus Feeders Professional Services Staff and Feedyard General Managers.
Amarillo, Texas with travel to other feedyard locations as needed
About the position:
The research internship is a 10-week internship beginning the first week of June and ending the 1st week of August. The research intern will be responsible for planning and executing a research project, which will be presented to the company at the conclusion of their internship. The research intern will split his or her time between the office and feedyard locations. Specific responsibilities will depend on the current projects and needs of the research team.
- Literature review
- Collection of high-quality data
- Compile and analyze data using Microsoft Excel software
- Organizing and condensing research results to inform decision making
- Traveling to feedyard locations in the Texas Panhandle and Southwestern Kansas
- Practicing sound animal handling and animal husbandry techniques while at feedyard locations
- Current junior, senior, or graduate student studying Animal Science or related field at an accredited university
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel is preferred
- Student who has completed a college-level statistics course
- Student with an agricultural background is preferred
- Student with exposure to research or the desire to pursue a master's degree is beneficial
Pay and Benefits:
- Paid Internship
- Housing is provided